Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Attendees: Steve Herbert, Alex Fisch, Marke Mallare, Wayne Howard, Eric Bruins, Julie Mendel, Eric Weinstein, Craig Tabita
Next Meeting: Tuesday, November 10, 6:30-8pm. Location TBC.
- Advocacy Opportunity: Ballona Creek Trail Connections. Earlier this month, the City of Culver City reached out to us asking to support their application to the Baldwin Hills Conservancy for grant funds to complete the Park to Playa Ballona Creek Connection Project. The project will connect the Baldwin Hills Overlook and Ballona Creek Bike Path by linking existing trails in Culver City Park and creating a bike thoroughfare that runs north from the Duquesne Ave entrance to Culver City Park to the Duquesne Ave entrance to the Ballona Creek Bike Path. Members present at the meeting approved submitting a support letter, which Wayne submitted on Oct 21. The Baldwin Hills Conservancy will be meeting on Friday, October 23 and will consider Culver City’s application; Wayne plans to attend in support. To read the letter we submitted, click here.
- Culver City Homeless Count. Member Alex Fisch suggested that we work with one of the committees conducting the Culver City Homeless Count to coordinate one active transportation group (bikes). The count is typically conducted by car; biking would enable a group to more accurately count in locations that are difficult to see from the street, not to mention promote active transportation to those involved in the Homeless Count. Members present voted to explore a partnership with the Homeless Count Committee.
Action Item: Alex to bring up idea with Homeless Count Committee.
- California Bike Summit. The California Bike Summit is in San Diego from October 25-28. Wayne would like to attend on behalf of CCBC. Members present approved using CCBC funds to cover Wayne’s discounted registration fee. Wayne, we look forward to your report of the summit!
- Outreach Opportunities.
– Culver City farmers market. Wayne suggested we coordinate a group to do outreach at the Culver City farmers market. The City reserves a table at the market for 501c3s for this kind of outreach and rotates the table among different nonprofits. Members present voted to explore how we can obtain permission to get into the rotation.
Action Item: Julie to reach out to farmers market to investigate table rotation.
– Culver City bike shops. Wayne also suggested we revisit building stronger relationships with bike shops in our area (Wheel World, Chubbies, Palms Cycle). Some of these bike shops are more open to supporting our coalition than others, but members present supported pursuing stronger relationships with all three.
- In-kind real estate. Wayne suggested we explore finding someone willing to donate in-kind real estate (i.e., a free 1-year lease on a space) that we could use to store coalition items and house regular meetings. Members present discussed several empty spaces that could work and approved exploring the idea further.
- Social media presence. We are now on Twitter and Instagram! Follow us on Twitter @bikeculvercity and on Instagram @bikeculvercity, and don’t forget to use the hashtag #bikeculvercity on your own social media accounts.
- WordPress updates. We discussed rehabbing our website (ccbike.org). Eric B suggested that bigger redesign questions should be coordinated with LACBC HQ, and that they are planning on taking up this very issue soon. In the meantime, Julie will work to keep the site updated with meeting minutes, events and announcements.
- Co-Chair/VP position. Member Mark Mallare expressed interest in the position, but all members present agreed to table discussion of an official co-chair position for now.
- Contact information. You can continue to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to contact Wayne, please use email@example.com.
- Standing meeting date. We discussed establishing a standing monthly meeting date and members present approved formalizing the second Tuesday of each month as our monthly meeting date. This is subject to change depending on Steering Committee availability but we largely plan on sticking to this schedule. Thus, our next meeting is Tuesday, November 10, from 6:30-8pm. Wayne will circulate a location and agenda closer to the meeting.
Finally, a hearty thanks to all those who organized and participated in our feeder ride to last Sunday’s Ciclavia! Photos are up on our Facebook page, and keep an eye out for future group rides. A happy and safe Halloween to all!